Users can now register the long-awaited dot bangla (.বাংলা) IDN after it was officially launched by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, allowing web users to create websites with Bangla web addresses.
The prime minister launched the dot bangla domains at the Ganabhaban , three months after the final clearance by the Internet Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
She expressed her hope that the new domain would lead to an increase in ICT business.
These labels serve as recognition of a state’s websites, for example – dot UK or .uk websites belong to the United Kingdom. It is the second country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Bangla websites.The Indian state of West Bengal and Sierra Leone (one of whose official languages is Bangla) will also receive the new IDN label.
The Posts and Telecommunications Division said Bangladesh Telecommunications Limited (BTCL) will be the technical contact point for the .bangla domain label.
Users can enter the BTCL website (www.btcl.com.bd) by typing ‘বিটিসিএল.বাংলা’ in Bangla fonts in their browser’s address bar.
- Phishing attacks using IDNs are hard to block
- New gTLD domain name registrations hits 3 Million
- IDNs: Chinese Community Steps Forward for Chinese TLDs
- Why A Chinese IDN Maybe One Of The Top 5 Most Registered New gTLD’s
- Sudan's IDN ccTLD Request for "سودان " Successfully Passes String Evaluation
- Chinese registry announces launch of .china (.中 国 ) extension