Associated Press condemns US telephone record seizure

The Associated Press has described the US government’s secret seizure of its journalists’ telephone records as a “massive and unprecedented intrusion”.

Chief executive Gary Pruitt said AP was told on Friday the justice department had gathered records of outgoing calls from more than 20 phone lines.

Mr Pruitt said there could be “no possible justification for such an overbroad collection”.

The justice department has provided no explanation for the seizure.

However, officials have previously said the US Attorney’s Office in the District of Columbia was conducting a criminal investigation into information contained in an AP story last year. read more

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 850 other subscribers

About

Leave a Reply